Today's lesson looks and sounds harder than it is. As far as I can tell, this concept just started showing up only recently: in the 2014-15 school year. It appeared 12 times last year, with a median placement at question # 55.
Number Dojo Level: TBD
To recognize this concept, look for something like this:
- Three terms with two operators,
- Division followed by multiplication,
- A consistent ratio between terms (usually 1/2), and
- The same exponent on each term.
How to Solve:
- Make sure all 4 of the above conditions exist.
- Ignore the 1st & 3rd terms, and calculate ONLY the 2nd term.
- That's it. You're done. Move along. Pretty cool, right?
Example 1 (the long way):
Example 1 (the short way):