A couple of months ago we introduced the topic of 3-dimensional objects in Polyhedron. Today we will get the ball rolling (or maybe round out our discussion?) with spheres. This concept appeared 3 times last year, with a median placement at question # 61.
Please Like our Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/numberdojo/) if you want to see new posts on your wall. I will reward you with a free concept index or flashcard file of your choice. Thank you!
Number Dojo Level: 314
Questions about spheres don't show up very often on number sense tests, but it is important for students to know the properties of spheres. I have noticed that these questions are showing up a little earlier on the tests than they used to. There are two formulas that need to be learned: surface area (A) and volume (V). About 80% of the questions showing up deal with surface area, and the other 20% deal with volume.
- Calculate the surface area, given the radius or diameter (or vice versa)
- Calculate the volume, given the radius or diameter (or vice versa)
- Estimate either the volume or the surface area